Thursday, September 9, 2010

Ella Starts Preschool

Ella, a.k.a., "big girl," "school girl"

I knew it was bound to happen... my Ella is no longer my baby girl. In fact, she has corrected me many times... "I'm not a baby, Mommy. I'm a big girl!" And so she is... my big girl started preschool yesterday (Wednesday, September 8, 2010).

I gently woke her up around 8:15am, washed her, dressed her, fixed her hair and gave her breakfast; ditto for Alexa; all whilst instructing RJ (who took half the day off) to take pictures for posterity. Then we drove 10 minutes to Watch Me Grow Preschool in Fremont.


She seemed excited at first, but then I think it all became a bit overwhelming because she had a "moment." The "moment" when she just stood still and looked warily around her. I anxiously watched the flurry of emotions cross her face, settling on a combination of worry and fear. She sidled up to me and hugged my leg with a grip that said, "I'm not letting go." Gently, I pried her hands off, knelt to her eye level and helplessly tried to distract her. Finally, her teacher, Mrs. Christina came to the rescue. She asked Ella if she wanted to paint with her, and Ella went willingly. Then it was my turn to feel "lost." Mrs. Christina smiled at me and waved, as if to say, "See, everything's ok. You can leave now while she's distracted." I was in a bit of a daze as I walked out where RJ was busy taking pictures of Alexa in the playground. He glanced at me and asked, "Are you ready to go?" I was feeling torn... should I go back inside and say goodbye to her or should I leave before she sees me again and decides she doesn't want stay in school? "Saying goodbye" won and I quickly tiptoed inside, gave her a quick kiss and said, "I'll see you later." Doh! I should have said, "Have a great day at school, honey."


I did shed a couple of tears in the car as we drove away. I turned around and asked Alexa if she was going to miss her Ate... she shook her head. RJ and I laughed and I knew it was all going to be alright.


Anyway, here's a link to the video that I took when we picked her up on Wednesday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXOEh6QdrP4


And here are the pictures:
Getting her hair done


Ponytail!


Is that a nervous smile?


She loves to paint


Checking out what her classmates are doing first.


She loves puzzles too.


Snack time


Are the boys chatting over/around her? :)


Her favorite, Andrew. :)


Enjoying the playground


Listening to Mrs. Christina


Hamming it up for the camera


Well, there you have it. Ella has started a new adventure. We are very proud of her. She has become a smart and beautiful girl and she will continue to grow into a smarter and more beautiful young lady. We are just grateful and feel blessed that we get to be a part of her life.


No comments: